drop in rpms of yamaha 150 and cdi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drop in rpms of yamaha 150 and cdi?

I have a c150 1996 outboard that I purchased new and run on a couple of 500 mile trips each year with a few shorter trips annually. It has low hours, probably about 200 or 300. A few years ago it began very intermittently suddenly dropping in rpms. Cruising along at 4300 or so and it would drop to 2500. That would continue for several minutes and then it would run perfectly for hours. Sometimes simply shutting down and restarting after a little while ended the problem It began to happen more frequently and the duration became a bit longer. I changed out the fuel pumps, changed tanks repeatedly, drained the carbs, removed all quick connects in the fuel delivery system, changed the filters (I have used a large sediment bowl form the outset). Had the dealer take a look at it one at least 3 occasions. The problem was always attributed to something in the fuel delivery system and since the problem was so sporatic, it was hard to eliminate that. Pumping the bulb as the dealer suggested did not change things when the rpms were dropping.

On the test run recently before setting out for a long trip, found that what was intermittent is now very frequent and I can't consider leaving the landing until the problem is solved. (I run 250 miles one way on remote rivers to get to my cabin)

I have picked mechanics brains at 3 dealers and the general agreeement is that this cannot be a cdi problem.

I am not a mechanic but from what I can tell(with the help of a Clymer manual), the only thing left is a bad cdi. Would love to just put another one on and see what happens but I was stunned to find out that for '96 the cost of the cdi is $750 (for the '97, it is only $200). It is sitting at another dealer's service department (the first is out of business) now with a long wait expected since it is moose season. My plans are down the tube for this fall as a consequence.

Suggestions and advice are welcome!

you had mentioned quick disconnects....im not familiar with the smaller motors, but if there are quick disconnects,i would run the hoses direct,eliminating any possiblity of air leaks.

Comment

you had mentioned quick disconnects....im not familiar with the smaller motors, but if there are quick disconnects,i would run the hoses direct,eliminating any possiblity of air leaks.

Comment

I already remove all the quick connects in the system. Didn't solve the problem. Thanks for your reply.

Comment

was there sediment in the bowls...if so ,theres probably sediment clogging the jets....i would give the carbs a very good cleaning.

Comment

Hi Daryl,

I am having the exact problem you described with an 89 150. Mechanic recommended new power pack... Did you ever replace your CDI and was that the problem.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X