Not firing or weak firing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not firing or weak firing

I have a Yamaha 220 outboard that will not fire. The model number is 220AETO. Serial number is 6G7 L 300280. I was told it was a 1985 model. It has the microcomputer. It has good compression on all six cylinders. I took a multi-meter and found that it was putting out 0.7 to 0.8 volts on the output side of the CDI box. These wires are going to the ignition coils. I have already checked the kill switch. It works fine. Long story short I think it may be the CDI box or the stator under the fly wheel. I pulled the fly wheel and noticed that all the surfaces were very rusty. I took fine sandpaper and cleaned them up. That did not help. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    Standing behind the motor it is firing on the top right cylinder only. Here it is very weak. I took a screw drive and actually held it while I turned it over. This is the only cylinder that is firing. It also incidentally is the wire on the CDI box that has the highest output of 0.9 volts. I would appreciate any opinions for I am at the end of my rope. I think this model can be hooked up to a diagnostic harness but I do not have access to one. I am not really sure even what year model it is. Thanks again, Charlie.

HI Charlie, sounds like the stator could be the problem, but I am unsure of the test procedure, I would bring it to a trustworthy repair person, and have them check it out. Maybe someone here knows how to check it,I do not. how about it, can anyone help?
    Last edited by Dennisg; 04-28-2008, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Charlie

Thanks for your response. I may start with the stator then. I priced it here and it runs for about $350.00. I was hoping for a way to test it. I may not be able to test it. Just costs a poor boy a lot of money real quick. The CDI box was aroud $570.00!

Comment

I am not sure what a dva is.

I am not sure what a dva is. Thank you for your response.

Comment

DVA is a direct voltage adapter that reads peak voltage. The CDI output should be 120 volts. low speed charge coils between brown and red should be 75 volts. High speed charge coil between blue and black/red should be 14 volts.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Are the low and high speed charge coils contained in the one piece stator assembly or are they individual components. I pulled the flywheel off but I did not attempt to pull the stator off. I just tried to clean the rust off with some fine sand paper.

Comment

When you are checking the ohms on the cdi box (input and outputs). Do you ohm across the box from the input side to the output side? Should it show no ohms or will it show continuity? Thanks again for all the help. Charlie.

Comment

Working...
              X