HPDI 250 Cutting out at 2000 rpm's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HPDI 250 Cutting out at 2000 rpm's

I am new to the forums but not so new to working on outboards so feel free to give me any advice you have.

I bought a brand new 250 VMAX HPDI in November of last year and ran the motor in down to the last minute of the 10 hours, A week ago with the motor now on 26 hours would cut almost the same as you pulled the Killswitch and put it back again a second later. This only happened twice on the day and I put it off as a bad connection or poor ground. Later the week it started doing it more often and this morning the boat would not go over 2000 rpm's almost the same as when the motor goes into LIMP mode. I have checked all fuel lines replaced the primer bulb made sure there is no restrictions in the line all the way up to the Vapour Tank. I drained the vapour tank to make sure there is no water in the fuel. I even bypassed the water seperator before the motor and cleaned all filters (No dirt found)

What would cause the motor to do this with only 26 Hours on the clock. I am hoping to get the dealer to come to me since the dealer is about a 2 Hour drive from here but dont want them to go through the effort if it is something small I can fix.

Any Advice?

no errors on gauge or buzzer sounding ?

Comment

No Buzzers warnings or display on guages

Comment

Make sure battery cables are clean and tight.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I have checked the battery connections and even changed it with one of my sneaker motor batteries.

I use a 105 AH Deep cycle on the outboard and it is fully charged

Comment

The next step would be compression test, fuel system test and computer diagnostic.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

So we had the diagnostic on the outboard this morning and the last fault report was low fuel pressure. We removed the filter after the VST and noticed that when you switch the Ingnition on there is barely any fuel flowing from the filter at all. We then checked the filter for blockage and none was found. I then suspected either the fuel pump or the strainer just below the pump might be blocked.

We removed the VST and the fuel pump and noticed no blockages whatsoever. I then decided to fill the VST tank with fuel and put voltage directly on the pump and the pump pumped the way it was built to do.
              I then replaced VST and tested on the motor and the fuel pressure was back to normal operating pressure of 970 psi

Now I am even more worried than before. I think it might be the fuel pump relay or maybe there was just a bad connection somewhere.

What do you think?

Comment

Was the solution ever found to this issue? I have an 05 225 hpdi.

I'm having VERY similar problems right now. The engine would idle for a few minutes then die... it seemed as if it was starved for gas and when the primer bulb was re-primed the engine would run for another few minutes at idle.

Any attempt to get on plane quickly saw the same symtoms of starved gas.

My mechanic has tried 3 fuel pump relays and i now have the origianl back in. The test in the manual didn't seem to work correctly as all 3 showed as bad. He also tested for continuity on the wiring and correct voltages at the pump and from the ecm.

We replaced everything and went for a test drive and it was fine. So now i'm even more confused. We had the computer hooked up and the low and high pressure readings were within spec.. i also had error 62 show for a low fuel pressure detected originally when this problem was noticed..

If it is a bad ground how would that be tested for ?

I'm now worried because we haven't really done anything except disconnecting the ecm and re-assembling everything.
                Note we changed ALL filters including the 2 fuel diaphrams along with the primer bulb.
                Last edited by skeeterottawa; 09-27-2009, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X