Yamaha 90 gearcase, shift shaft O-ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 90 gearcase, shift shaft O-ring

Pulled the gearcase off my 1997 Yamaha 90hp to sevice the water pump. When I put the gearcase on the ground I found a small O-ring lying on top off the shift shaft. Thougt that it should be in the groove beneath the splines on the shift shaft to seal off the grease on the splines.

But after looking at the spare parts list it looks like it should be right where I found it, on top of the splines. Please help me put the O-ring in the right place when I put it all together again. I have enclosed some pics showing it all.
    Attached Files

Should it be here?
    Attached Files

Comment

The O-ring is no 70 on the drawing.
      Attached Files

Comment

Unfortunatley only the Clymer manual and it doesn't tell. Has only the same pic as I have enclosed as the spare part drawing.

Comment

There is an oring inside the upper shift shaft, look to see if it's still there
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

OK, then it should be on top of the shift shaft coming from the gearcase and not in the groove beneath the splines where I put it on the second pic. Thank You very much for Your answer. Tomorrow I will put it all together again.

Comment

It should go into groove inside the splined sleeve on upper shift shaft, the part that the shaft on lower unit goes into.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
              X