checking starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• checking starter

Ok i've got a new battery starter gear jumps up properly but the gears are not strong enough to turn the flywheel while on the motor. So i removed the starter to test it and i've connected the battery directly to my starter which i removed from the outboard to check. The starter gear jumps up but doesn't turn the gears. I've alway thought you should see the gears turn as well? The motor is a 2001 150 HPDI.

brushes

ok can anyone tell me if they have clean or repaired the starter . Or found an easy repair after dissasembly of the starter.

Comment

not sure if your dealer will test the windings or not but a elecric motor shop will... are you sure all connections are solid and youre gettin 12+ to starter?
      brushes are sold and not too difficult to change out.

Comment

brushes

yes i pulled the starter off the motor and connected 12 vlots directly to the starter, the gear jumps up but the gear will not turn at all. the gear does turn by hand so its not frozen. whats the procedure to swap out the brushes?

Comment

67F-81801-00-00 BRUSH SET $75.66

you can swap out brushes but windings/field could still be bad.

Comment

sounds like i should let the alternator/starter repair shop just fix it.

Comment

as an update, it was a bad starter

Comment

Working...
              X