Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another conversion from pull to electric start question

Hi All,

Im not at the boat at the moment so I dont have the exact model number, but I have a late 90's 6hp Yamaha outboard on my sailboat. I would like to convert it to electric start and am having a tough time identifying if it is possible. Last time I opened up the cover and looked around it appeared to have a mount for the starter.

I found an image of the style and vintage of outboard for the moment. I know I need to get the real info to be sure.

So... any thoughts? I need to make this outboard more user friendly for the family to use.

Thanks!

There was an elect start kit for the late 80's and early 90 models.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Im still getting the model number of the outboard... seems tough to get down to the boat these days. Im getting the impression that the starter model #6G8-81800-11-00 is going to be the right fit.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Comment

That is just the starter. The starter kit is 6G1-W0086-80-00.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I have the model number of the motor...

Its a 1988 model...

Model: 8LG

I found the starter kit listed on the site but I am not interested in the gauges that accompany it. I'm only concerned with getting a starter motor on there and setting up a solenoid and such to start it with. In looking at the kit # 6G1-W0086-80-00 and in the parts list it indicates the starter as a vertical starter with a part number of #6G1-15758-80-EK and a price of $25.48. This cant be right. There are no other starter motors listed in the parts list for the kit. For the sake of it I ordered the part from Boats.net but Im worried I just ordered something I dont need.

Can you confirm the starter model is indeed #6G8-81800-11-00 as it isnt listed anywhere that I can find in the kit description?

Thanks!

Comment

6G1-W0086-80-00 is only the starter kit, it does not include gauges.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Sorry I meant the gauge accessories and electrical components, not gauges themselves. My bad.

So what I'm curious about, and you may have answered this, what is the starter model number for starter kit #6G1-W0086-80-00? In the listing of parts for that kit it shows part #6G1-15758-80-EK and calls it a vertical starter, but the part shown in the diagram looks like a plug to the pull start hole on the case and has a price too low compared to other starters.

I just want to know the exact model of starter itself that fits this outboard, not the whole kit. Assuming I had the kit on my outboard already and the starter motor died... what would be my replacement starter motor?

Thanks much!

Comment

The starter is part number 6G8-81800-11-00
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the confirmation!

Comment

Working...
                  X