oil seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil seals

replacing the oilseals in my lower unit on a 1988 90etlg. in the parts list here it shows #14 as being 2 seals. i ordered and got one. i removed 2. and the list for #14 says 4 are required. i'm a little confused. i guess i need 2 since that is what i removed, but are they the same part number/same size seal? one on top of the other? i removed them at another shop and they got tossed, so no frame of reference.

hello
    yes, the two seals for the prop shaft and the two seals for the top shaft are the same, 4 are required for a full rebuild.
    cyrillefrenchy

Comment

thanks. so one on top of the other, both lips facing the same direction?

Comment

hello
        i am not sure but i thing the lips are not going to the same direction, they go to opposite way.
        the oustide seal empeche the water to go in , the inner seal empeche the oil to go out.
        again i am not sure 100 %, need a second opinion .
        cyrillefrenchy

Comment

Seals

They both go with lips going out , Yamahas way of doing it must be the disign of things but it works

Comment

seals

Originally posted by Aleutianwest View Post
            They both go with lips going out , Yamahas way of doing it must be the disign of things but it works
            im wrong, on the prop shaft they go out and drive the go in or down i just looked at the manual to make sure

Comment

i'm just doing the drive shaft for now....so down it is. thanks. what manual are you using? what section is it in? i couldnt find it in my clymer.

Comment

Working...
              X