1999 yamaha 40hp idle chirp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 yamaha 40hp idle chirp

Hello i need some help with this 3cylinder 40, it originally sat up for about six months with gas in it. That was 4 years ago and when i cranked it then at idle it had a loud chirp and then it would cut itself off. I am still trying to work on it today, i have cleaned the carbs many times with carb cleaner and i have not gotten it to be any better over the years. I bought a shop manual for it but i still cant seem to get it right. I would be very gratefull for any advise on this i love my motor and hope one day to get it fixed, So if anyone has advise i would be very gratefull for it.

Thanks camo549

That is normally a lean pop which means dirty carbs, intake air leak or carbs out of sync.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

thanks for the advise i will try that and see what i can come up with.You think it could be the seals on the back of the carb or you thinking the reed gasket. Today i found the idle jet on the top and the bottom carb plugged i cleaned real good with carb cleaner and it idle'd better it didnt chirp as much but i put the motor in and ran it on the river,it seems to run fin on top end, but as i was running for about 3to4 mins i the rpms were slowley dropping as if is was running out of gas.Does this sound like fuel pump to you?

Thanks Camo549

Comment

Hey what all is involved in rebuild of a carb? jets and seals all the way through or one or the other?

thanks camo

Comment

Working...
        X