1996 70TLRU Yamaha and multifunction gauge wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1996 70TLRU Yamaha and multifunction gauge wiring

I have a 1996 Yamaha 70TLRU outboard, and bought the same era multifunction tach and speedometer. I'm sure I'll be needing a wiring harness or two, or some kind of adapter, but the information I've found online is for newer gauges/outboards, or so it seems. I currently have a wiring harness that connects the motor to the Yamaha side-mount control. There are five or six wires in that harness that are capped off (by the factory it seems). Are any of the wires in that harness for connecting to the gauges? What other harness(es) would I need? Some kind of wiring diagram would be great, but of course nothing but the outboard manual came with the motor/boat.

Additional info:
    There are seven wires coming off the wiring harness to the control (Model 703), on one set there are four, red, black, yellow, and green. The other set is a set of six wires, two red, two light green, and two light blue with a red stripe, all spliced together into three rubber sheathed connectors. The tach has the two four pin connectors, one male, one female. Is 68F-82553-70-00 the right wiring harness to connect the gauges to the engine for oil and tilt for the gauges and motor I have? I can't tell which gauge harness I would need to connect to the control harness from what I've read in related posts. Any install guides and/or manuals for the gauges would be a plus. Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by thirdeyeopen2002; 03-20-2008, 12:54 AM. Reason: Additional info

68F-82553-70-00 Trim/Oil harness is for 1994-2000 motors. Connects trim sender and oil level sensors to tach. You will also need a power harness, 6Y5-83553-N0-00 Gauge Harness connects to the red,yellow, green, black wires on 703 control to get power and tach signal to Tach. The red,green and blue wires on 703 control for connecting a remote power tilt and trim switch in boat.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank you.

For lending me your knowledge. Do you happen to have the manuals/installation guides for the gauges, for usage instructions, and just to have them. Thank you again.

Comment

No I don't think I have any of the older setup guides, but it's not bad just connect the matching colored wires.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks

No problem. I ordered the parts. If anyone does have some older gauge manuals in digital format I'd appreciate it. Please email to me. If they are similar enough I wouldn't mind the manuals for the newer gauges. I think I'll be good with the install. Thank you all.

Comment

Working...
          X