Help with submerged 2004 F40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with submerged 2004 F40

I recently purchased a 2004 F40 with issues. The motor had been used on a dinghy and had been rolled in the surf. The charter company I bought the motor from had a mechanic rebuild the carbs along with the rest of the general submerged motor treatments, immediate washdown, flush cylinders, flush fuel system, etc. The motor now will start and idle beautifully however the motor runs very rough at just higher than idle speeds, say between 800-1500 rpm. The motor also is difficult to put into gear at idle and keep running. The torque required once put into gear will stall the motor unless you rev above this zone. The motor seems to run OK while in gear at higher RPMs.

I really need some help with what to do next. If I trust they have gone through the fuel system, electrical system? I checked the coils, plugs, and plug wires but don't have the peak voltage indicator to check the computer output or the charge coil.

One other thing to mention even though I'm scared to, the motor was running when it flipped. I've read this could cause bent rods. Could this be a possibility or would the motor not even start if this was the case?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

have you checked compression?
    i would worry more about salt/water in the bearings....hopefully it was pickled quickly.

Comment

Compresson looked good. I believe that the charter company performed the right steps at least to get it this far. It was a decent size charter company with a couple boats and a full time maintenance staff. Any other suggestions for things to check?

Thanks.

Comment

It may just need to have carbs syncronized but it would hard to say.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks. That is something I haven't done yet.

Comment

Working...
          X