02' F60 Surging...Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02' F60 Surging...Help!!!

I have a carbuerated 02' F60 w/ a little over 200 hrs. The motor starts fine and idles perfect. When you throttle to get up on plane she is fine until around 3500 rpms and once your up and running she surges. You can feel it re-rev and de-rev slightly. I have always ran ring-free and recently did 2 shock treatments w/ sea foam the dunk way. No smoke after sea foam treatment which leads me to believe there isn't much carbon build-up. I checked fuel fittings, ball stays hard when running, water separater is tight and new (Racor). Tank vent is unobstructed. It does it with separate tank connected as well. Fuel filter on motor is clean. I can hit 6000rpms but the surging is annoying and very noticeable. What would the symptoms of a failing fuel pump be? Any ideas?
    thanks

Try a new set of spark plugs. If that doesn't work it may need carbs cleaned.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Spark plugs are brand new. Just rebuilt carbs last night and haven't taken it out yet. Everything in the carbs looked clean and really didn't find any blocked jets or passages. What if the fuel pump diaphram is bad?

Comment

If it's a fuel pump problem you should be able to pump primer bulb when it's surging to see if runs better.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I have pumped the ball when it is surging and don't really see much change. Maybe there was something in the carbs then. I was going to replace the fuel pump diaphram today at $9.95. Do you think that I should? Like I said I haven't run it yet since the carb rebuild in the water. I only ran it on the hose.

Comment

if choking helps its most likely a dirty carb
            a bad diaphram will dump fuel out the prop while running.

Comment

Well I finally just rebuilt the carbs and that was definetly the problem. No more surge and no more dead spot out of the hole. The only problem now is getting the carbs re-synched. Will motorcycle re-synch gauges work on outboards. I have found a couple for motorcycles what have four seperate gauges. If not then where should I go to get one because I would rather have one instead of paying someone each time it needs to be done.
              Thanks

Comment

I would think that you can buy it here at Boats.net.
                You will have to call or email
                For some reason the tools are not listed. (

Bill

Comment

Just ordered a CarbTune Pro from California. Had awesome reviews and does all 4 carbs at once. Comes with all the adaptors including m6 fittings for my F60. I will update when it arrives.

Comment

Explaination please...

I tried to quickly decipher the installation instructions on the carbtune web site but was unable to completely understand.

I'm assuming that the gage lines tap into the fuel lines of each carb and the gages monitor the fuel flow to each carb which in turn controls air flow........Is this correct ????

I purchased a air flow device many years ago that fits over the carb top and it then measures Air Flow through the carb(with a bubble, sort of like on a carpenters level). It works satisfactorly, however you have to switch it from one carb to the next and difficult to adapt to some carb set-ups.

Your comments please.......

Comment

The carbtune measures the flow of you air/fuel mixture past the butterflys. It does not connect to the fuel lines. The motor has plugs on your chambers that can be removed. You thread the carbtune lines to each of these ports and run the motor. You will have a constant reading of the vacuum from each carb while it is running so you can equal the flow between the carbs out. Very easy and very accurate.

Comment

Thanks for the reply and info!!

Comment

There is a plug on intake manifold, one on each cylinder that you remove and install fitting for gauges, it is measuring vacumn in intake manifold on each cylinder.
                          Regards
                          Boats.net
                          Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I'm trying to locate the plugs you described.

Please see....for '06,,50hp,TLR

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...KE/index.html#

Are they Item #6 ?

Comment

Working...
                            X