T8 oil in cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T8 oil in cylinders

I have a 2002 T8 that was running fine. Went to move it in the back of my truck- layed it gently on the side without the tiller arm.
    got it home to unload it several hours later and noticed oil had run out all over the place. I put it upright, wiped it down, and went to bed.

Next day, I mount it on the boat in the driveway. Checked the oil level and it was ok on the dipstick. Hooked up the battery, fuel, and water and went to start it. The starter kicked barely and shut off. Did this about 3 times- same thing. Decided to pull the spark plug. Top cylinder was full of oil. Obviously when the strater tried to turn, the oil kicked too much load and shut down. Pulled both plugs and ran the starter to purge the oil. Checked compression with finger and strong for both holes. Cleaned up the plugs and put back together. Starter now turns fine, but won't even try to kick over. Checked spark and was good. I'll get some new plugs tomorrow. Any ideas? Did it hurt anything?

If you lay a 4 stroke on wrong side oil can get into cylinders. There is a decal on side of engine cowling with correct way to store motor, either in upright position or with tiller handle down.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Well, I must have laid it down on the wrong side. I wouldn't think it should have been laid in the tiller arm.

Anyway, what can I do to correct, clean it up and get it restarted? I don't think I damaged any internals as the compression feels good. I checked out Yamaha Combustion Chamber Cleaner and it said to use it while the engine is running and warm.

Comment

You can remove the spark plugs and crank engine over to get oil out of cylinders, reinstall spark plugs and start up. It will smoke real bad until it burns off excessive oil.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X