1992 70hp, yellow oil warning then overheat buzzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 70hp, yellow oil warning then overheat buzzer

I just purchased the engine test drove it then let it sit about 2 months. Upon launching yesterday I almost immediately noticed a a yellow oil warning on my gauge and then the overheat buzzer sounded. The heat buzzer seemed to happen only at slow speeds. The yellow warning never went away. After sitting with the engine off, the buzzer would go off. But the oil warning would stay on.

My first thought was a faulty oil sensor that would shut the oil pump down when it alerts of low oil in tank. In turn causing a overheat buzzer because it has starved the engine of oil. I know my oil tank is full. I'm new to outboards and don't want to make the situation worse. What do you think? Thank you

The yellow light indicates that need to add oil to oil tank, but will not activate warning(red light is oil warning). If oil tank is full then oil level sensor may be unplugged from harness or a bad oil level sensor. When the overheat warning activates the buzzer will continue to sound until engine cools down. Probably need to replace water pump and test oil level sensor.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

1992 70hp, yellow oil warning then overheat buzzer Reply to Thread

Thank you for the quick reply. I think my water pump is ok because my exhaust water stream stays constant throughout the whole process. I was told that the oil tank can be overfilled and this would cause a problem as well. Is it true that the yellow warning light shuts down the oil transfer pump? Thank you

Comment

No the 70hp only has 1 oil tank(115hp and higher have a second tank in boat) which is mounted on engine, overfilling it will not signal an alarm or warning light.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Can I use the water pump kit or should I order the whole housing? Thank you for you continued assistance.

Comment

Most of the time the housing is not needed. Inspect it to see if it looks melted or damaged.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
            X