4 stroke smoke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 stroke smoke?

I have a 2002 Yamaha F60 with a little over 200 hrs. and after I run it for awhile I notice it has a trail of white smoke from the exhaust. No smoke on first startup only after its been running. I just did an oil change and put Quaker State full synthetic in. Does the full synthetic get too thin and slip by the rings? I am gonna dump the oil and filter and go back to marine grade. The motor runs fine but I don't remember seeing the smoke before.
    Thanks

Synthetic should be at least as good as conventional oil in resisting thinning - I doubt that's it. And oil generates darker smoke, not white smoke. Pull the plugs and see what they look like before you start changing things.

Tim

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Plugs don't look bad but I already have new ones to put in. What would cause white smoke then?

Comment

I just realized that I am a little overfull on the dipstick with the motor cold. Could that be why it is smoking? Would the motor burn off the excess?
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by captflossman View Post
          I just realized that I am a little overfull on the dipstick with the motor cold. Could that be why it is smoking? Would the motor burn off the excess?
          Thanks
          Sounds like that may well be your problem - certainly fix that before you try anything else.

Tim

Comment

Working...
          X