Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1995 lower unit click

1995 200
    In neutral it turns freely except for one area where it is clicking on someting inside. Not really a "click" more like you can feel it hitting something lightly. Bad gear tooth?
    Is this something to be concerned about? Or will it go away after some actual in water forward/reverse shifting?

(this is with the prop OFF)

Make sure the shift linkage adjustment at engine is in neutral position.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Yes, I've centered it in neutral. Even tried pushing slightly toward FWD or REV to see if it would go away or change.
      What could hit in neutral?

Gear lube was thick, black and gooey.

Comment

Was there any metal on drain screw magnet? If so then it may have gear damage.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Nothing major, just the normal small filings. Lube was especially nasty but maybe just from rarely being changed......

Comment

The only way to tell if there is gear damage is to take apart for inspection. You can change oil, run for couple of hours and change oil again to see if more metal is in oil.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

What if...

It happened to me once that one wing of the prop could touch slightely the anode... sorry if this seems to simpel to you. good luck.

Comment

No, this is with the prop off.
                I did notice that someone had used 2 thrust washers. One was still in the prop when I removed it and another was still on the shaft. Could this have caused damage?

Comment

Working...
                X