Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Digital Tach Drops To Zero

Help

I have an on going issue with one of my 2000 200HPDI's. The issue is that at idle the tach will drop to zero, and the alarm will sound. Once at cruise speed it appears to be ok. To date I have checked all the bullit connectors, put in a new tach, and purchased new batteries. At this point I am thinking it has to be something with the charging system. I was thinking that the voltage regulator on the engine is bad. Does this sound right to you? Is there a way to check to see if it is the voltage regulator?

Thanks in advance

Jon

before you spent the cash you should have tried to swap tachs, then harnesses, or checked system w/ YDS.
    did you check pin settings on tach?
    which alarm on gauge SHOWS or is it the beeps as at startup?

Comment

Beeps like it does at startup. The tach displays 0 and the alarm sounds. This is at idle and the tach jumps between 0-700. Push the throttle forward and the alarm stops as the rpm's on the engine increase.

Comment

The dual switch panel does have the engine stall alarm, if it loses tach signal it probably would sound stall alarm. Which would be a loss of voltage on green tach signal wire.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
          The dual switch panel does have the engine stall alarm, if it loses tach signal it probably would sound stall alarm. Which would be a loss of voltage on green tach signal wire.
          Thanks for the quick responses. When you say the "duel switch panel" are you talking about the duel ignition keys panel? If so how much to replace them, or could it just be a loose wire on the ignition itself?

Thanks

Jon

Comment

Yes the ignition switch panel has a module in it that will activate alarm if one engine shuts off. It sounds like it is doing what is suppose to and the problem is with the tach signal coming from engine. If you swap gauge and wire harness like jb123 suggested and if doesn't solve problem the check charging system on engine.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I have installed a new tach already but have not swapped out the harness. I will swap the harnesses around from the engines and see what happens. Any suggestions on what I should look at on the charging system side? Would YDS software help? If so where can I get a copy of it with the cables? Sorry for all the questions I am just extremely frustrated.

Thanks again

Jon

Comment

go under console, swap harnesses to gauges,see if prob says with gauge or motor/harness.

then you can swap harnesses, see if issue stays with one harness..

lube all harness ends including 10 pin.

with twins you can always swap parts to find a culprit.

LASTLY look at replacing electronic components.

Comment

Working...
                X