2000 OX66 150 Trouble....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 OX66 150 Trouble....

I have a pursuit 2470 rigged with twin 150HP ox66 fuel injected outboards. (2000 year model) Was running offshore yesterday and about 10 miles into trip the port motor died while running 4300 rpms on both. I thought at first I had sucked something up but looking down at my digital gauges I watched as the rpms counted down to nothing. I tried to start it up again and it would run for a little and then stall back out. (not idle rough, just die..like someone pulled the plug on this thing) Just talking about the port motor here.....

Opened up the back hatch where I have two seperate fuel filters with water seperator bowls and drain plugs and drained both and didn't notice any signs of water or debris in fuel. opened top cowling and also checked to see if the ring was floating indicating water in fuel and no floating and again no sediment or particles. drained anyway for good measures and then hand squeezed the ball to fill back up my racor filters and addition to the engine mounted see-thru canister.

Got boat running so I pushed knob in so that I could push throttle forward without engaging it into gear and let it run at higher rpms to see if she would stay running. Let it run at high idle for a couple minutes in nuetral and thought I had figured it out and everything was fine.

Got both engines back up to around 4500 and was cruising along fine and again after about 2-3miles of running it was like someone pulled the plug again. tryed starting again would run less and less as this process continued up until I decided to give up on it. Pulled the plugs cleaned them with a wire brush even though they were pretty normal looking and tried to start again and it got to the point where it didn't even want to start any more.

What can this be a fuel pump? air in lines? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just some info. My racor filters were new less than 20 hours ago, plugs are new every year, and this happened one time about 6 months ago when I was running it died for a few seconds and then came right back on where it left off it seems.

Also I ran home almost 20 miles with the stbd motor at 4700 rpms for just over an hour and no a single burp from that motor, so I don't think that it is a problem with the fuel itself.....

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas on how to troubleshoot my problem

Andrew

sounds like it could be filter in vapor tank or possibly a air leak.
    with a bad lp pump you will see clean plugs.
    Last edited by jb123; 12-10-2007, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X