Low voltage at oil tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low voltage at oil tank

I have a 1995 225 2 stoke that is only getting 3.4 volts at the oil tank pump. If I use the emergency switch it gets the full 12 volts. Both the pump and both float switches have been replaced. Any ideas??? Thanks in advance.

Jim

If you are measuring voltage across blue and brown wire, you will only get 12 volts when pump is activated from engine. Check voltage across blue wire and engine ground.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I am measuring across blue to brown, but only get 3.4 volts. When I trip the emergency oil feed switch it jumps to 12 volts. Could the problem be at the key switch? I just did a major overhaul to repair my fuel tank (95' whaler outrage) and this problem just started. Maybe a bad ground?

Comment

What is the problem, are you having trouble getting oil to transfer to engine tank?
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
          What is the problem, are you having trouble getting oil to transfer to engine tank?
          Yes. Hench the reason for checking voltage. Pump works, float switches work, just not getting enough voltage to the pump.

Comment

You will only get 12 volts to pump when it is running, When the ECU activates oil transfer it makes the ground connection to brown wire going to oil pump and breaks ground to stop pump. Unless you test from engine ground and blue pump wire you will not get a voltage reading.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Sorry, sometimes I need a map to get across the room.
              Checked blue to engine ground, no voltage with key on.

Comment

I forgot to mention on 1995 the engine will need to be running and trimmed down for transfer to work.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

The motor is trimmed down, not running though. The manual states that the transfer should happen with just the key on though. I'll try it your way though. If the transfer doesn't occur, where would I look then?
                  Thanks for all your help with this.

Jim

Comment

OK, tried it your way and everything works fine. Thank you very much for your help, it will definately translate into future business when I need it.

Thanks again,
                    Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X