250 hpdi ignition coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250 hpdi ignition coils

I have a 2003 250 hpdi (LZ250TXRB) that runs rough at idle. Otherwise it runs strong after putting it in gear and opening it up to wide open. It gets my boat (cobia 234 cc) up on plane in about 3 seconds.

On the ear muffs and garden hose, while idling, I pulled the spark plug wires off, one at a time. There was no change in the idle speed when the top left and middle right wires were pulled. (looking from stern to bow). I also tried a spark plug gap type tester on each plug wire. Again there was plenty of spark on all except the two mentioned above. There was no spark jumping across the gap until I got the contacts very close. At first , I thought it might be the plugs so I bought a new set of BKR6EKU's, but no change.

My question is: can ignition coils get weak at idle and then work at WOT ? It seems like it would be easy to replace the bad coils myself. Does the plug wire and cap come with the coil as a complete unit or do I have to order them separately as they have different part numbers on Yamaha parts list on your site? Also, the four top coils (two on each side part number 68F-82310-01-00) and the two bottom coils (one on each side part number 68F-82310-11-00) have different part numbers. Why is that ?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Paul

do the test up around 2k rpms.

you can also swap the coils and see if issue stays with cyl or coil.

Comment

ignition coils

I switched the top two coils on the port side. Ran the engine on the earmuffs at 1900 rpm. Pulled the plug wires one at a time. Still, top plug on port side made no difference in rpms when pulled. The second one reduced the rpms quite a bit when pulled. So it is not the coils or plug wires and boot. Is it possible that these two cylinders ( top port side and middle starboard side: cylinders 2 and 3 according to the numbers on the coil cover) are designed not to kick in until the motor is under load at full throttle ? It seems to run fine when it is gunned. Doesn't sound like it is missing or lugging. Will run at about 5300 rpms at full throttle. To dangerous to try to pull any wires when running on water at wot and I don't want to rev it that high on the muffs without a load on it.

Comment

The HPDI engines only idle on four cylinders, you have to put them in gear and run above 1200 rpm's to run on all 6 cylinders.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X