High pressure fuel pump test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High pressure fuel pump test?

2000 150hp OX66 --pump makes no sound when key is turned on...removed pump from tank . if 12 volts is applied to pump terminals will this tell me if pump functions ok...would appreciate any help...

if pump is seized ....there was a past post about how to apply 24v to free up a seized pump...i think the poster was Slim.

Comment

good possibility this pump is siezed......just purchased the boat and it has not been run in 2 yrs....lot of dried gas thu out.....plan to replace both low pressure pumps and filter..will remove and clean all screens and injectors...due to cost I hate to replace high pressure pump if it can be freed up....could not find post concerning 24v to pump to break loose...plan to soak pump and apply 24v and see what happens...

Comment

QUOTE:

ok i am guessing you know how to take the vst tank apart if you cleaned the filter. you can try this and you may get lucky. its worked for me a few times in the past. take the top of the tank off and try to get all the gas out of the pump. make some jumper wires with the small loops on one end of both wires and nothing on the other end. put the loops on the studs just like the ones from the harness. take two batteries and hook up in series. (positive of 1 battery to the neg of the other). take your jumpers and hook up to the other two remaining posts. what your doing is your trying to "kick" the motor over with 24 volts because it is stuck with gummed fuel. sometimes the extra amps does turn it over. you dont want to turn it much since the fuel actually cools this pump and there wont be any going threw it. so if it turns over with 24 volts, let it run for about 5 seconds. then hook it up to just 12 volts. if it turns with 24 and not with 12 then run it on 24 another time. usually no more then two times is needed if it even breaks free. now if it does break free and will run on 12 volts, put it back together and before you mount the top back on the tank, pour just a little bit of fuel conditioner or stabil in the tank. this will help clean some more of the gummed fuel out when its running. CAUTION- BE CAREFUL WHEN DOING THIS SINCE BOTH FUEL AND BATTERY VOLTAGE WILL BE PRESENT. LET THE LAST CONNECTION BE MADE AT ONE OF THE BATTERIES AND NOT THE PUMP. let me know what happens and i hope you can get by without shelling out for a new pump. last time i priced one they were about 600.00

Comment

jb123,

Could you also put the pump in some carb cleaner to free it up ?

Comment

soaked pump for 2 days in injector cleaner....hit it several times with 24v...nothing---dead as a hammer...ordered new high pressure pump and both low pressure pumps....some days you are the bug-then some days you are the windshield..............

Comment

Working...
            X