25hp 4 stroke carb corrosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25hp 4 stroke carb corrosion

I have had this Yam 25hp 4 stroke '98 since I bought it new in '99--it has about 75 hrs on it, because I use it rarely--partially, because every time it sits for 2 weeks or more unused, the jets get corroded/plugged and I have to clean the entire carb out no matter what I do to it beforehand. When done using it I have tried all of these: emptying the bowl + disconnecting the gas line, using high octane gas with extender and leaving line connected/bowl full, emptying bowl and spraying with fogging oil + no line connected, put in new carb kit, bought a used carb even and tried it!!...why is this thing doing this, is this a common unsolvable problem? I have a yamaha 4 wheeler and it NEVER does this! It does sit in the sun here in N.C. Florida all day, i didn't figure covering would make any difference. I'd like to keep it but I've about had it, any suggestions PLEASE!?!? I am not able to run it every few days, although one summer when I did run it for 5 minutes once a week, it never corroded until I waited 2 weeks!!!--I just am not able to do this weekly, but I can do whatever it takes to prepare it for the next starting, anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months later. HELP!

It is a problem in Florida, sitting out in the sun does make it worse. If it only sits for a couple of weeks then fuel stabilizer should work. If it's going to sitting for months then you can drain the carb by way of drain screw on carb(disconnecting fuel hose and running engine out of gas wont work) then fill carb with fuel stabilizer, you can make up a fuel line with primer bulb and drop hose into fuel stabilizer bottle. This makes it hard to get started, you will need to drain fuel stabilizer out of carb before trying to start up. Running engine is by far the best way to resolve.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks...I'll think of some way to get it out of the direct sun and try that...regarding the stabalizer, could i disconnect the fuel line, drain the carb and through that drain hole, fill the bowl with 100% stabilizer with a syringe-put the screw quickly back in and store it that way?Long term stabilizer in the carb won't hurt it?

many thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X