115 4-stroke maint/winterize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115 4-stroke maint/winterize

New to the Yamaha family, especially 4 stroking. 2 - 2006 115's. Changing the oil, what a mess, both from the drain tube and when I tried to do the filter. Any secrets or tricks? Extra hands? Does the cowl come off to do the filter? Fog or not fog? The 2 stroke I had, I used to disconnect the fuel and run the motor 'til it sputtered, fog intake, then do cylinders. Can't find a fuel shut off or disconnect. Should I yank it off the filter body on the engine? Or just squirt the intake and shut down? The only literature I have is the owners manual. Not helping me right now...it is getting cold quick, the rut is on and I'm running out of time. Which manual should I buy?
    Any input will help, I did a bunch of reading here and you guys know your stuff.
    Oh yeah, one of the plastic clips (on the bracket) that contact the indicator for the trim of the motors broke. I replaced it and now the trim for the 2 motors doesn't match. Any adjustments needed (on the gauge) or did I not install it in the right spot?
    Last edited by Junior; 11-04-2007, 06:39 PM.

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/s...ead.php?t=6974

Junior, try this earlier thread.

Comment

Thank you for your response. I actually saw that while I was browsing around. Any input on the oil filter debacle I experienced? I also saw a post about which manuals to use, Clymers or Yam. I am good with a wrench but no OB technician by any means.

Comment

Junior, for the draining, I got one of those pumps that goes in through the dipstick tube - it works very well. The filter is messy no matter what, but try using a ziploc baggie - loosen the filter with a wrench just a bit, to where you can get it off by hand, then put the baggie over it. Use one hand to hold the baggie opening up against the filter mount, and unscrew the filter with the other. It's still messy, but hopefully at least some of the oil will end up inside the baggie.

Tim

Comment

Thanks again. Took care of it today. Now to find a shrink wrapper....

Comment

Working...
          X