Leaking tilt cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking tilt cylinder

I have a 92 yamaha 250hp TURQ leaking fluid from the top seal on the trim cylinder, my mechanic buddy said he cant find a replacement seal and a new cylinder is about $900! Any idea how to repair this without spending the big bucks since all it may need is an O ring?
    Thanks
    Rich

tilt or trim.....

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...201/index.html

Comment

sorry, it is the tilt cylinder not the trim
      thanks
      rich

Comment

Tilt Sea Leaking

I have the same problem with the sealaround my tilt cylinder. I changed the fluid and used a high quality automatic transmission fluid that supposedly expands rubber seal. I also put a generous amount of grease around the seal. I used to have to put fluid in after every trip out. Since I changed the fluid and greased the seal, I haven't put in fluid in more than a month which is about ten times out on the water.

Comment

Not a bad job to change out the seals. Inexpensive here also.
          2000 Wellcraft 270 Coastal Tournament Edition
          Twin 2000 200 OX-66

Comment

I'd simply remove the T / T and have a Dealer rebulid it during the off season.

Parts shouldn't be more than about $150. You need a special spanner wrench to disassemble it anyway.

Comment

What i am told by many mechanics is that Yamaha does not make a rebuild kit or a seal for the top cap. If these parts are not available how can a shop do the repair? I checked the parts diagram on line and it doesent show a top seal for the tilt cylinder. It just seems crazy to have to spend $900 for new cylinder because of a 30 cent seal.

Comment

You need to purchase the piston sub assembly in order to replace the seal. I went through this last season. They do sell the actual seal but once you take it apart the piston assembly is welded on the top side and it appears the lower portion is pressed in.

Comment

I believe that the sub assembly is not available for the tilt unit

Comment

Working...
                  X