2004 150 bogdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 150 bogdown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone! Searched this sight and learned a great deal but still can't figure out my problem/problems.Hopefull I can get some input from the members here
    2004 Yamaha 150 2 stroke with carbs.
    Not sure if my problems are related but they seem to coincide...
    Here is my tale of woe:

She has always run like a champ since getting the boat last april.Two Sat ago I went out fishing and the low oil alarm went off.I had this happen a month earlier and was able to use the emergency switch to refill the engines oil tank.Thought I had plenty of oil in the remote tank to be filling the engine tank?Back at he dock I filled the remote tank(Yamalube) tho it had a decent amount in it already...
    and for the next few months everything was fine till 2 sat ago.
    Alram goes off %$#&
    I KNEW the remote tank was filled because I now check it before every outing.Hit the emergency switch and nothing happens.I was close to the marina and limped back in "safe mode" keeping an eye on the engine oil tank.A 15 minute run.
    I go to start her up the next week and it takes awhile.Strange as she always starts up easily.It was the first chilly morning and it had rained for 3-4 days so I figure just a rough start..no big deal.
    * she has since then started up easily each n every time.
    Temps had dropped the night before so I'm thinking this is the coldest I've ever had the boat and maybe its just that...a chilly night after 3 days of rain.
    Get her going but the engine sounds odd...a miss/cough/sputter ever 20 seconds or so.
    Warm her up and she smooths out but the sputter is still there every 30 seconds now.
    Ease her out of the slip and down the canal but turn around after a few minutes because I just don't like the way it feels.
    I have a new water seperating filter and after I tie her up I change it.
    Start her again and she sounds good to go.
    Ease her out and down the canal and still don't like the way the engine is running.She always purred ( as much as a 2 stroke can purr ) and this cat is not her usual self.
    I push the throttle to get going and she begins to but quickly bogs down.
    Back to the slip I go...
    Pull the cowling and clean the engines fuel filter ( it was clean).
    Start her and she runs nice!
    But bogged down again once I was out and trying to get going

*Clear bowl water seperator filter installed last Saturday.This is something I've meant to do earlier.I want to see/know when the filter is doing what its designed to do.No more solid filters!
    I pull the spark plugs.They all looked the same and not in bad shape at all but bought new ones...gapped them and installed them .
    Took her out for a test drive and...
    same problem.Idles good but bogs at 2000rpm and above
    While I was installing the new plugs a guy from the local Sea Tow walked by and we started talking.I asked him if he had any dealings with Yamaha engines and he said all 10 SeaTow boats he has are Yammie powered.

I told him my symptoms and he said...
    "fuel pumps!...change em.... they are overdue and what your describing is what I see on our engines very often"

So I removed the 2 fuel pumps and bought new ones . ...for $38 apiece I think they are affordable enough to buy the complete package and not mess around.Brand new original Yamaha pumps!
    I took the old ones apart and the rubber membranes look well worn.No tears,holes or rips but the top fuel pump membrane looked stretched out and very discolored.
    This engine has a bit over 400 hours on her and I'm guessing these 2 pumps are original
    Installed 2 new fuel pumps .Very straightforward and simple.
    Started her up and she purred like a kitten.
    But...she always idles like that.
    Took her out for a test drive and I could tell immediatley that the fuel pumps were not the problem
    Underway there is a slight vibration...hesitation.Can't really describe it other than I can tell its not running like it was.
    Go to open her up and...bogs down right around 2000.She'll get up to 26--2700 and surge back and forth.

My oil tank on the engine is not recieving oil from the remote tank in the bilge area.The "emergency" switch on the engine is not working and I had to fill the engine oiltank by hand.
    Could my problems be related?Seems obvious... but onward I trudge trying to go thru the steps thinking this bogging is fuel related.
    I pulled the remote oil tank and cleaned the filter that sits out of view and at the bottom exterior.It was clean but it did give me the chance to remove a bunch of sludge sitting in the bilge area that I could never get to.Reinstalled and figure to myself I will come back to the problem of no oil being pumped to the engines main oil tank soon.
    My plan was to fix the fuel problem first then get to the oil problem immediately after.

I had with me a 3 gallon fuel tank with fresh gas and a new primer ball & fuel lines.I completely bypassed the boats fuel system and hooked directly to the engine.Started her up and she purred (as best a 2 stroke can purr) like a kitten.
    But as I've said she always purrs like that when idling.
    Lines off and eased her into the canal.
    Knew right off that the problem was still a problem
    Gave it some go juice and ...boggin like a mule in mud.

"oh well" I thought.I gave it my best and went thru all the steps I needed to.Gotta be the carbs!
    Carbs were removed by the marinas mechanic and worked on then reinstalled.Just spoke with him and the problem is still there

Also the trim gauge has always blinked at the very top line.This has been like that since getting the boat in April.She ran great for 5 months and I figured I could live with a gauge not working right...
    Obviosly I shouldn't figure as much as I do

Is the engine running in a "safe mode"?
    Trim sender switch gone bad?

I was so sure of a fuel problem but now I'm wondering if the oil/trim/bogging are all related?
    Hoping someone says "been there done that..this is the answer"

Thanks for reading and bearing with a long winded post!

J

Also post this on iboats.com more techs hang out on that forum.

Comment

if youre runnin over 2k rpms the its not rpm reduc.

if you are certain that its not your fuel supply side, then youre down to carbs, spark and compression.

check comp
      have you changed plugs?
      pull each plug whle running on hose at 1500-2000 rpms ensuring a sound drop, rpm decrease...(your tech shoulda done that)
      pull airbox , again on hose, same rpms,choke each throat with your finger, listenin for an increase rpms/HELP in sound.

im not sure if on that year motor your sensor is bad,or SHOWING tilt/tilt UP, that the sub pump will transfer or not, think the newer ones wont transfer but boats.net will know.

QUOTE:
      Does it transfer oil by using the toggle switch on engine? No oil
      will transfer if the yellow oil light in tach is on, if the oil
      tank in boat is full and still see yellow light then
      oil level sensor on boat oil tank may be bad.

The engine does have to be running and trimmed down to transfer oil.
      If it doesn't and the emergency switch does transfer oil then either
      the oil level sensor in boat oil tank or engine oil tank is bad or
      the CDI unit is bad. Also check all ground wire connections to make
      clean and tight.

Comment

I have come across this problem before and it was the trim sender under the tilt bracket. If it is no good or broken motor will not transfer oil to main tank on motor because it thinks the motor is tilted up.

Comment

Working...
        X