Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 25hp 4 stroke yamaha owns my sanity

This gonna be painful...
    Day#1- Some rough idle problems once engaged into gear, throttled it to full, planed it out,ranlike a champ all the way to the trailer.
    Day#2- Took apart and cleaned the carb,Adjusted idle speed, Changed the oil and filter. Synthetic 10W-30 and napa gold filter(wix), checked the plugs.
    Day#3- Put in the water, would hesitate, shake, and sputter like it was fuel starved when put I put it in gear and throttled up, it wasn't going anywhere near ...on plane. It would run fine at an idle in gear.
    Days#4-??? played
    with this this thing in the driveway with the muffs. Changed the fuel in the tank, replaced the fuel line and filter, dismantled and cleaned the carb(again), took apart the fuel pump(diaphragm looks good, no holes,tears, perforations), checked the plugs-theyhad become wet from all my little driveway underways.
    Today- Put it in the water, idled fine, but after a few thousand rpms in gear it would cough and sputter, choke,like before-like it was running on one cylinder.
    Being the brave seaman, I idled around to a few nearby holes prior to making an attempt at getting back to the launch. Eventually it just died and would not restart for the next 20 minutes.(flooded) Pretty hilarious when you barely see any fuel in the
    filter.
    My trip back was a series of restarts and 30 yard dashes numbering in the 100's. Once started it would run a little then die again.
    Brought it home- checked the plugs, they are wet and black.
    I am about to loose my everlovin' mind....
    Any ideas on potential unforseen issues?
    Failures particular this outboard?
    Any help is appreciated...
    Thanks in advance,
    WearemOut

Take carb apart and make all parts including fuel filter are installed correctly as per service manual and parts diagram. Check vent on gas tank to see if venting.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

Check those boxes. I'm currently revisiting the "fuel pump" idea. I removed it...again...last resort before the shop...when I unbolted it's 2 bolts from the engine, It appeared that there was fuel on the engine(oil!) side of the diaphragm. So I'm pretty certain this is gonna be the problem. Doesn't seem to have an extrordinary amount of gas in the oil. Thanks for the support, I'll be posting the results of the replacement. Meanwhile, hoping this ends the sad story of my 25 yammy.
      Thanks Again,
      WearemOut

Comment

sounds like your inlet needles may be leaking by. causing extra fuel to pour into the carbs and motor. which would be why it seems to flooding. if you have access to a pressure tester. you could test the needle and seat to see if they are sealing.

Comment

Working...
        X