Anti-Seize & Torque Values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Seize & Torque Values

The Yamaha Service manual does not show any thread lube on assembly of the heads and water jackets. A local "ole timer" advised me to use zinc anti-seize on all threads during re assembly. The book also indicates a torque spec of 22ft/lbs. I am assuming that this spec is for non lubricated, dry s.s. bolt onto aluminum threads.
    Any ideas on the question about torquing lubed threads as opposed to dry threads. In aviation, there are lubed specs and dry specs.
    Any input is appreciated.
    19.6' Predator, 90(?) Yamaha 150 ETLD, Stock in every way, Water pressure Gauge, Runs great, Lots of PM, Salt water operation. Aircraft mechanic..

I was always told NEVER to use anti-seize on salt water engines. It's just another type of metal introduced to a corrossion nightmare. A good product is Tuff-Gel or you can use mercurys 2-4-C grease or Anti-corrossion grease. I also have noticed the no spec on lube for yamaha head bolts. In all honesty the one and only one I've torqued with NO lube it seemed to jumpy while torqueing ( I use a digital torque wrench). All other heads I've installed I've always used something usally 2 stroke oil. I wouldn't really worried about over torqueing the bolts maybe shave off a pound off spec run it get it hot and re torque. As far as the water jacket I've ALWAYS used grease on those bolts

Comment

I think your referring to tef-gel. Florida based product using powdered teflon in a carrier. Great stuff. I use it on salt water exposed hardware. Very sticky and doesn't wash off easily.
      The copper based never-seize is a no no. I used the zinc based on gulf shrimp boats with out any known issues. Always able to remove very old bolts. I'm not so sure that the salt water can get to these head bolt threads I think it's basicly a dissimiler metal issue. All anodes are maintained. I hope this helps. I DO NOT want to go through this again. I agree with the less torque....a few pounds....thanks
      19.6' Predator, 90(?) Yamaha 150 ETLD, Stock in every way, Water pressure Gauge, Runs great, Lots of PM, Salt water operation. Aircraft mechanic..

Comment

Working...
      X