F25 Yamaha Starter Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F25 Yamaha Starter Problem?

My Electric start 25hp Four Stroke Yamaha was running great. I used it all day which included several start ups and shut downs with no problems. Then I tried to start it the last time and I got a terrible Grinding or "growling sound". I let off the starter button right away and got back to the boat ramp using my *****ing motor. I tried a couple of times more... just bumping the starter... same grinding sound. I took the cover off and put some water to the lower unit (boat out of water) and decided to see if it would start if I depressed the button a little longer. It started fine even with the loud grinding sound from the starter. Did something happen to my starter to cause this sound? Any ideas?... replacement?

2nd look...

I looked at the starter again and the starter gear is engaged (up) with the flywheel. Shouldnt it be in the disengaged postion (down)? I think this is what is causing the grinding sound when I hit the starter switch. What could be causing the gear to be in the engaged position?

Comment

It wont go back down.

Comment

turn flywheel by hand and pry down with screwdriver, THEN lube.

Comment

Working...
        X