Yamaha F9.9MSHU questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F9.9MSHU questions

Just picked up a jon boat with this engine on it. Previus owner said he just had it tuned up last year. Got it out this weekend for the first time. Engine was a bear to get started and stay running. Seemed like starved for fuel. Once you could finally get it running, after a few tries of shifting into gear and immediately dying, it would run great on first pull rest of day. Went out next day and while a little difficult at first, got it going after a lot of priming and pulling . First thought is that the fuel line/bulb is old and letting in air as excess priming would get fuel to squirt out end of line near connection (not clamped down) and bulb never seemed to get good and solid (always squishy and gurgly), but all that pumping seemed to help. Does this theory sound feasible?

Couple other quick questions. Next day 2nd trip out, I think I broke the spring on recoil starter. Rope pulls out and retracts in fine, small cog wheel turns when being pulled or retracted but absolutely no resistance or engagement (flywheel). Again, does this sound correct? Easy fix?

Conversion kit to turn this little engine form a rope start to an electric start (I'm already worn out form all the pulling this wekeend). A mechanic told me very expensive, around $1,000 or so. That seems awfully expensive but thought I'd ask. Am I being taken on that one? Mentioned something about "no place to mount starter or some such, need to add a plate..."?

Last ?, the little hour/tach meter you sell for this engine...Easy install? Do I need any other part to hook gauge to engine? Curious about rpm's and prop selection (currently a 9.25 x 9.0 prop). Is 4500-5500 the correct rpm range for this engine?

I know it's a lot of questions but thought I'd get your guys' feedback as I just can't gauge the character of the local mechanics yet.

Thanks a bunch...

-Brian

Probably need to remove and clean carb.
    Remove recoil starter and lube mechanism's, see if helps.
    There are no electric start kits, all parts would have to bought individually and would be expensive.
    The maintenance tach/hour meter is easy to install, just connect wire to spark plug wire.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
    X