1999 F100 Tapping Noise (top end?)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 F100 Tapping Noise (top end?)...

Having a tapping noise, sounds like a stuck lifter. When first startup, something taps for about 5-10 secs then quits.

After running down lake, fish awhile, start engine, same tapping for about 5-10 sec then it quits.

Pulled the cowl, it sounds like it's coming from the top end. Am I on the right track.... Valve adjustment, stuck lifter??????

Which service manual would you recommend?

Remove valve cover and check valve clearance.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

sometimes the clicking comes from the fuel pumps.make sure the system is holding a prime.

Comment

Check valve clearances. The exhaust side seems a little tight. All of the exhaust clearances measured 0.011. The Yamaha manual says "0.013 +/- 0.001". Is this too tight, is it a bad thing?

Comment

It seems to tap at different times. It doesn't always start tapping when first started, maybe 5 sec after. Then will tap for different lengths of time. I tried decarbing the piston/valves through the spark plug hole, didn't help.

Somewhat sure the tap is comming from # 1 exhaust valves (steth-a-scope trick). I'm beginning to think its a weak valve spring. Any advice an this, the chances of a weak spring, how hard to change out?

Comment

The valve may be sticking due to carbon.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

run a can of ring free.. or techcron..

Larry

Comment

After many, I mean many trial and errors, I found the problem. The simplest things are often overlooked.

If I squeeze the primer bulb every time before start up, the tap is gone. If I forget the bulb, the tap reappears.

Amazing how the simplest things seem to be the hardest to find?????????

Comment

so it was the fuel pump ticking..

Comment

Working...
                  X