Water Jacket De-scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Jacket De-scale

Gettin ready to de-crud all the water jackets and heads. Bead blast or chemical like CLR ?
    I plan on using Loctite "chisel" to remove old gaskets, any known issues with that product.
    Does the yellow coating in the jackets need to be recoated??
    I have 2 very stuck head bolts... do I heat the head of the bolt (then let cool) or the surrounding thread area?
    The thread areas are in amongst other gasket surfaces.

While doing this PM I plan on new t-stats & PRV.....anything else??

I took tons of pictures of the removed parts showing the crud if anyone is interested. I removed the water jackets and heads and only broke 4 bolts and have 2 very stuck....not bad huh?

Thanks guys........
    19.6' Predator, 90(?) Yamaha 150 ETLD, Stock in every way, Water pressure Gauge, Runs great, Lots of PM, Salt water operation. Aircraft mechanic..

If you bead blast then need to spray with zinc chromemate primer. I havn't used the Loctite chisel but probably ok. Yes use heat if possible to remove stuck bolts.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

What a PITA job! Broke 2 head bolts, 3 jacket bolts and even broke a 6mm tap on the 2nd to last hole cleaning phase. Lessons learned? Welding a nut to a broke head bolt removes the bolt, even if it's below the surface. Electrolasis will cause aluminum threads will attach themselves to stainless steel threads. One bolt has the alum threads still on it. It was bear to remove. Nitric acid removes a broke tap. CLR will soften the corrosion, but a scraper made from thin aluminum works very well. Bead blasting the heads and all water contact areas works great but so does CLR and a stiff parts cleaning brush.
      I read a while back that one member, Slim, I think would do this job for $500.00. What a deal that is. This whole project was about broken bolts. I spent 2 days on one bolt, back and forth, vibration, heat, PB, Kroil and the darn thing still broke. The art is in dealing with stuck then broke bolts. If you get past that your home free. Reassembly was done using massive amounts of zinc anti seize.
      19.6' Predator, 90(?) Yamaha 150 ETLD, Stock in every way, Water pressure Gauge, Runs great, Lots of PM, Salt water operation. Aircraft mechanic..

Comment

If it's saltwater I was always told not to use anti-seize! Use Tuff-Gel Good luck with the frozen bolts I try not to rock them I find it to weaken the bolt just steady pressure with heat a little tapidy-tap-tap, some penitration spary and don't forget to talk to it.

Comment

Working...
        X