Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition wires on 703 con*****er

Hi all,

Hope the boating season has been good for everyone. I have a 90 HP Yamie with a 703 con*****er. I recently installed a new stereo in the boat. It needed 2 power connections, one for the memory the other for main power. The main power I hooked to the yellow wire off the 703. This was not being used and from what I understand this can be used for lighting for gauges etc... There are also 2 others not being used Black and pink.

When the key switched to on and not running it seems to work perfectly. Once the engine is running there seems to be interference or the power get choppy and cuts in and out causing the radio to go on and off. Very annoying and may damage the radio if there is a surge. Any suggestions or other wires I may use or how I may improve this power source (maybe a capacitor of some type to even out the power source?). The yamie is older, 1989 model.

Thx Jon

you should run r/y/bl directly to the battery or else you might always be wrestling with motor interference issues.

Comment

Direct connection to the battery is probably your best bet, but you could get a filter from an electronics store and install it in the line between the yellow wire and the radio. The filter will need to be connected to a good ground. The battery wire from the radio could be connecte to the red wire going to the ignition switch. Are you getting interference or is the power cutting in and out? Is the display on the radio solid? you may be getting interference from the ignition of the motor which is going into the antenna of the radio. Unplug the antenna and see if the problem is still there. If you want to connect to the battery but still have the ignition switch cut the radio off, you could use a relay. Connect the relat contacts between the battery and the radio power wire. Connect the coil of the relay to the yellow wire from the ignition switch and ground.

Comment

Thanks all,

I could easily run the second line to the fuse box with the power line already going to it. Of course I would then loose the key switch function. Turn the key on then power to the radio etc..

I am sure that with the engine running the source of power on the yellow line from the harness gets choppy (maybe interference). This does cause the unit to go on and off (LCD and all) The only thing this line does from the radio is activate the on off switch function on the unit. The main power already goes to the fuse box.

Must be a filter or capacitor I could use.

Any electrical engineers or electronics experts out there with ideas B)?

Comment

Working...
        X