Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yammy 06 115 4stroke starter problems

Hello,
    boat was not run for 2 weeks. On my last trip I tried to start the boat. The start seemed to have some trouble. almost like it was weak. After I let it sit a minute it fired up and stalled. Tried almost 2 seconds later and nothing. let it sit and it fired up no problem. It worked fine the rest of the day.

The next morning I inspected. Same odd problem could not get the starter to if i tried it multiple times withing seconds. Eventually started every time with out fail.

Now when I stop the engine I hear a rapid clicking. My fist thought was solenoid but the noise comes from the side opposite the starter. Sounds like a discharge happening... but my manual indicates there is no component that side of the engine that would make that noise.

I am supposed to run a 15 mile off shore trip next week. A dealer will ty me up for weeks. I am a novice on this engine but very willing to learn.

Motor is still under warranty.

Regards
    T

Load test your battery. have you charged it ?

Comment

I have a dual battery system. They both read 12.6 volts before starting.

Comment

and while cranking ??

Comment

I just got finished charging. I charged both batteries until they couldn't hold the 2am trickle.
          The starter kicks in fine. but when I turn the motor off I still hear that clicking noise. The noise is the same kind of noise you would expect to hear when your battery is dead only it happens when you kill the engine.

Comment

If anyone still thinks its the batteries, it happens with both. If still battery related I can change out batteries. I have another pair that of AGM batteries that have been used for about 15 hrs. I'd rather not lug those things around if not needed... but you guys know more than me.

Comment

( The start seemed to have some trouble. almost like it was weak. After I let it sit a minute it fired up and stalled. Tried almost 2 seconds later and nothing. let it sit and it fired up no problem. It worked fine the rest of the day.

The next morning I inspected. Same odd problem could not get the starter to if i tried it multiple times withing seconds. Eventually started every time with out fail. ))

so....it starts fine now ???

just the noise is the only issue now ??

Comment

Yes it starts fine now. Just the noise after i kill the engine. It is the sound of a relay. the same sound you would hear if your battery was dead. tick tick tick tick.

The odd part is it comes from the side opposite the starter. There are no relays on that side of the engine according to my manual.

No other symptoms.

Comment

Well I was lucky enough to speak with a very knowledgeable yamaha tech out of WI today. He assured me that the clicking was the throttle position sensor after shut own. It makes a distinct shor clicking noise for about 4 seconds and stops.

I may have started noticing things after the weak battery made me paranoid.

I did buy some diagnostic software today (YDS). I am hoping it will not only help me spot trouble sooner but make me more knowlegeable about yamaha engines.

I may even be able to lend a hand on thi board rather than just ask for help.

T

Comment

Working...
                  X