Help Interpret Mechanics Notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Interpret Mechanics Notes

I took my 1989 Yamaha Pro50 outboard into the shop for a power loss out of the hole. I replaced the fuel pump and fuel line from the tank and used Seafoam which did not help. Today I picked up my boat and the mechanic was not there but the receptionist had recorded his notes as follows:

"Checked compression and leakage: #1 110/14% #2 105/26%
    #3 105/22%. Checked spark-ok. Checked carburetors for varnish -ok. Checked gear oil-ok. Ran engine on Dyno machine. Engine starts skipping at 5500rpm and drops to 4500rpm. Check timing-linkages were not properly synchronized. Synchronized linkages, carburetors, set idle and wide open throttle timing. Re ran on Dyno. Shifting, accelerating and pumping water properly."

Two things concern me: Isn't 26% and 22% leakage excessive, like in an engine ready to cause me significant problems at any time?

Until today, I've never heard of Dyno testing under load. Is this a reasonable non-water test?

Guess when I go out tomorrow for a test run, I'll see if the problem was fixed.

BTW, the bill was $260.00 ($85.00 bucks for the Dyno and 2 hours labor and $5.00 in materials).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Working...
X