Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winterizing 4 stroke 250's

Is it necessary to fog 4 stroke 250's?

I do my F 200's. But I don't overdo it. Just a short burst in each cylinder and then I crank over the motors(before I re attach the plug wires). Also I store with only a 1/3 tank of fuel. Been fine so far.

Comment

Brian, this is what I did on my F200: http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/s...ead.php?t=6871

Comment

Brian, one more note - with these 4-strokes, boatyards often just hook them up to a tank containing a mixture of gas, fuel stabilizer, and 2-cycle oil and run them for a bit or until the engine stalls out. For them, it's a matter of getting the job done as fast as possible -- $$$ in their pocket. And I think that's reasonable - oils both the valves and the cylinders. For a do-it-yourselfer, I still think it is better to fog through the intake briefly to get some oil on the valves, and then squirt the cylinders and crank the motor over, as indicated in the earlier message. If you skip the fogging you are leaving the valves dry.

This has worked well for me - F200 is 3 years old and has never needed anything but routine maintenance.

Tim

Comment

Working...
        X