High idle on 90hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High idle on 90hp

1997 90hp Had the lower unit replaced. Installed new water pump kit. Now it is idling high after i changed out a different lower unit. Starts fine but idle wont drop after it warms up. The pee hole has water coming out but not strong enough. Should I pull of the water pump again? What can I check to make sure everything is working. Thanks in advance.

The water pump shouldn't have much affect if any on idle speed. Check throttle and carb linkage.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

keep in mind, with lower unit out of water there is no back pressure and may allow it to idle a bit higher.

Comment

Still need help!!!

GUYS HELP......took it out and ran it. Very high idle at start up. After it warmed up for about 10-15 mins I forced it in gear. Once in gear it idled great. Tried to go wot but no power what so ever under load. Then I decided to drop it back in neutral and try to manually throttle up with the hood off. Same issue.

Comment

Couple of things going on here. Do you have a RPM guage? What is the idle at in Neutral?

No power in gear could be dirty carbs etc...

Could also be something is getting in the way of the throttle linkage. Also check for free movement on the opposite side of the linkage.

It has to be something like that since it ran before the lower unit was swapped out.

What is the idle at in gear?
          2000 Wellcraft 270 Coastal Tournament Edition
          Twin 2000 200 OX-66

Comment

unhook the cable at motor and see if it is the motor or cable....ensure the linkage and butterflies close fully.

Comment

Thanks guys I really appricate everyones help.

I dont have any guages on it. It could possibly be carbs even though it was rebuilt not too long ago. It sat for 2 months while waiting for a new lower unit. Before that it was fine. Would a dirty carb cause the motor to idle high and not have power in gear? Also would you think a good decarb would clear it up?

Comment

Tried the de-carb when this happened to me. Doesn't get the carbs cleaned out.
                Thought of disconnecting the cables too to see if the idle went down. Also, check with engine not running if when you WOT the throttle control do the carbs open all the way? Could it be the cable connection on the motor got messed with when the lower unit was swapped?
                2000 Wellcraft 270 Coastal Tournament Edition
                Twin 2000 200 OX-66

Comment

did a complete card rebuilt. Started right back up and saw something burn on the stator. Why would it start flaming?

Comment

Working...
                  X