Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 HP Yamaha #3 Cylinder No Fire

Hi,

Need some help with a 1985 90 horse Yamaha not getting any fire on #3 cylinder. I have swapped plugs, swapped coils and still no fire on #3. Have a Seloc outboard manual and have tested CDI, pulsar coil and charge coil. The tests show minor ohm variances on all 3 parts but the charge coil has 1 side that is way off. I think this could be the problem but wanted to hear from someone else that may have been there done that before.

Thanks for any help,
    Rick

If you have good fire on other 2 then it's the pulsor coil, ignition coil or CDI. If you don't have a peak reading voltmeter to test voltage output then you would have guess which one to replace, CDI or pulsor.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

90 HP Yamaha #3 Cylinder No Fire

Boats.net,

Thanks for the much needed help. I have a Fluke 87 that I believe catches high volts. The ohms on pulsar coil are: w/r-w/y 346.5 (345-420) and w/b-w/g 348.7 (765-935). The ohms on the charge coil are: blue/brown 1.069 (765-935) and red/blue 130.8 (108-132). The ohm test on the CDI was done with all wires still hooked up. On pulsar point 5, all tests points were open except to the ground point 7.
      I have the flywheel off but it would be no problem to put all back together and run voltage tests you mentioned.

Thanks again for all your help,
      Rick

Comment

You can get a direct voltage adapter for your Fluke meter that will read peak voltage. You can still your meter for pulsor coil test, since you have no fire on one then you are looking for with no output. Set your meter on DC volts and check between same wires as you used for resistance checks. As far as the CDI the resistance test are useless, the CDI output test is the test I use which requires the DVA.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks again,

The test you are talking about, are they with the key on or engine running?

I am starting to feel I need to take the engine to a pro.

Thanks,
          Rick
          Last edited by Rick Krenz; 09-20-2007, 12:45 PM. Reason: wrong info

Comment

Either at cranking speed or running at idle.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks,

I just bought a CDI and a stator from you guys. Even these prices are cheaper than 4 or 5 hours with a pro. At least the parts will be right and new.
              Hope the pulsar coilis good!!

Can the stator or CDI knock the other out?

Thanks,
              Rick

Comment

Boats.net,

Hoping for one more reply. Can a stator, CDI or pulsar coil cause another to go out? Is there anything I should be looking at that could cause another failure?

Thanks,
                Rick

Comment

Working...
                X