Doel-Fin or Whale Tail aluminum hydrofoil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doel-Fin or Whale Tail aluminum hydrofoil

Has anyobe got any real world experience with these sort of devices?

I know they all exaggerate the benefits and ease of installation -- but what is experience if nay and are there any downside issuse?

I've got a 26' Century CC with twon 200hp Saltwater series engines installed and it seems like the boat struggles to get on plane and the bow really seems to get a "woody" as it it transitions to planning mode.

Any feedback would be interesting...

I don't usually recommend them on twin engines, 400hp pushing 26ft boat puts on a lot of pressure on aluminum anticavitation plate with doel fin installed. Hydraulic or electric trim tabs work well.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I had Doel Fins on my 21 CC with a 150 Yami. The boat shot out of the hole with them, but I don't think i'd put them on twins.
      I have twin 225's on a 28 grady, and the bow comes way up for a few seconds before she gets up on plane.

Comment

try taking off faster then tapering back.... unless you have much stern weight, whereas you might want to shift some weight forward.

Comment

Thanks for the reply's. I did some reading on various sites and had already gotten feeling they were more hype than reality and most people had porblems with them.

The real answer is to be more aggressive on startup and the problem will be much less noticeable.

Comment

I've been reserching Smart Tabs for bow high and porpoisong problems. Bought a set today, hope they do as advertised.
            Good luck

Comment

Working...
            X