25hp Lower unit question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25hp Lower unit question?

Hello, Am new to the forum. I have tried search results and can't find and answer. I have a 1988 SG Yamaha outboard with the precision oil injection. I am looking at several "used" lower units on eBay. Here is my questions?

How interchangable are the Yamaha 25hp lower units? (Will any 80's unit exchange?)
    Does the "short gear,long gear,extra-long gear, extra short gear" shaft lengths come into play when exchanging lower units?

Thank you for any help or suggestions you can make. I know this is an older motor , but I am really on a tight budget and new outboard or new lower unit is out of the question, Thanks, Dahnkster

Here are photos of two of the lower units I am looking at.
    Attached Files

It is part number 6L2-45300-02-EK, 1988 to 1993 lower units will work. If your model number is 25ESG then it is a short shaft.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

thank you so very much for the info

both ebayers are very vague as to model numbers,year or any specifics. The first one I have pictured only says"80's yamaha 25 or 30 hp lower unit" it is definitely the short shaft model that I am looking for but since I don't know what year, I was reluctant to purchase. I was hoping that any pre 1994 would fit (84-93), but I guess only the years you mentioned are the ones I'll concentrate on now. Thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
      X