50 HP Dropping RPM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 HP Dropping RPM's

1988 pro 50..Runs at 5200 for 5 minutes and then drops down to 2500 rpms..Put in a new waterpump...compression is about 100 on all 3 cylinders..Primer bulb stays hard..Ran a seperate gas tank and line with fresh fuel..Had it in the shop twice..The waterpump was replaced because they said the temp was warm with the laser gun ...after it was replaced, they said it was run on the dyno for a 1/2 hr wide open..The first time in the shop, they cleaned the carbs and replaced the jets..I'm stumped on what I should check next. Our shop rate is 117 / hr..I have 500 into it already and it's still not right...Really need some help..Thx in advance.

Has the warning buzzer been checked? May be going into rpm reduction due to overheat or low oil warning and not sounding buzzer.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Corroded Spark Plug wires?

Walley,
      I have a 1988 Yamaha Pro 50 and this summer had almost identical syptoms that you describe...and the same expensive intermittent "shot-in-dark" process of trying to fix it (Fuel, carboration, needle valves, fuel lines, etc). We finally found that the SARK PLUG WIRES WERE CORRODED internally and re-spliced the wires at the spark plug end. Try spicing first as this eliminated having to replace the entire wire and coil assembly which is very expensive since they are integrated together and molded into 1 unit on the coil end.
      Hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
      X