Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starter relay/solenoid...

2003 25hp Elhp

I'm at wit's end. I could use a little advice.

My starter stopped work a couple months ago. the relay was clicking. when i got home i went to boaters.net an order a new relay. put the new one on an it worked great for a day...then nothing. still sounded like the relay to me. spoke to boater net. an they said i could return the relay switch...great! order another one. the new one just clicked an nothing...no start.

now I'm thinking, has to be something else. took the starter apart. thinking the brushes had to be bad...wrong. brushes looked good.

This time when i spoke to the parts dept. I ask if it could be a manufacturing problem...they said it very will could be. an if i like they would send me another one. Boaters net has just been great.

well
    got it tonight...an it just clicks away. no starting. when i put a test light on it. I'm not getting electric to the other post on the relay switch...these means the starter relay switch is bad...right ? is there something i'm missing here ? I hate to tell them I need another relay switch. but, i'd really like to put this to bed.

Thanks for you help
    Dennis

I'll check back tomorrow.

Have battery tested, clean and tighten battery cables at battery and engine. Make sure it has a least 12 volts at starter relay and if voltage drops below 10 volts when key is in start position then it may be a starter problem.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

hey, Thanks.

I really appreciate the responses!
      okay

Battery test at 12.52 volts at the relay switch. when i turn the key...4 volts at the positive side of the relay switch. with a test light...no electic to the other side of the relay.

starter tests at ooo ohms of resistance...
      when i place 12v directly to the starter...turned nicely...once. I went back an tryed again...nothing, didn't turn. still have 00 ohms.

an yes, when I take the fuse out...I get nothing. when I put it back the relay switch clicks away.

Comment

4 volts wont get it. Put your voltmeter on battery and turn to start position, if voltage drops below 10 then battery is bad. If voltage is ok then the battery cables are bad.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

it's working now. Thanks for ur help.

yesterday, I cleaned the connection to the starter an messed around the connection to the fuse wirer...one of those two things took care of it.

thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X