Power Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Loss

I have a 1989 Yamaha Pro 50, oil injected. I have a power loss out of the hole. Cranks fine, idles smooth, *****s great. When I push the throttle up to take off, within a few seconds I get a power loss and have to back off the throttle. I changed the plugs and the problem went away for about 15-20 minutes. Then same symptoms again. The plugs I took out didn't look very bad to me, but there was some carbon on them.

I ran a compression test two days ago on a warm engine (at least I think it was warm enough). I got 95, 91, 85. Hmmm......

Yesterday, I added 16oz of Seafoam to about 2 gallons of gas and let it idle for 15 minutes, rest for 15 minutes and repeated 3 times. Some smoke, not too much (I was expecting more). I then took it to the river and had the same symptoms (but it did idle much smoother).

The carbs were cleaned this season and a new water pump installed by a local Yamaha boat center.

I don't know that the engine is trying to tell me if new plugs temporarily fix the problem, albeit for a short period of time (15-30 minutes).

What can I do next before I wind up paying $90.00/hr in labor for the mechanic to look at it?

thanks,

Power Loss

I forgot to add that I replaced the fuel line from the portable tank to the engine. Did not help.

Comment

Working...
    X