X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winterizing the 2007 yamaha 250

I just bought a 2007 robalo r260 with twin yamaha 4stroke 250's
    How do i winterize the motors?

The owners manual does list the winterization steps. I do recommend adding fuel stabilizer to fuel tank and taking boat out on water to run long enough to get treated fuel through whole fuel system. It's a good idea to change lower unit oil before putting in storage to make sure there is no water in lower unit.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
      The owners manual does list the winterization steps.
      If the owner's manual is anything like my 2004 F200, it's pretty lame - I think they just copied the manual from a 2-stroke with regard to fogging. It talks about removing the intake silencer, which makes no sense at all.

What I did is:

- stabilize the fuel
      - change engine oil and filter
      - change lower unit lube
      - grease all grease points
      - drain any accumulated water from fuel filter
      - run engine on muffs and put a quick shot of fogging oil into each of the two intake silencers, then shut down
      - remove the plugs and give a good dose of fogging oil to each cylinder
      - reinstall plugs and crank a couple of times, but don't start
      - spray WD40 over all metal and painted metal parts
      - reinstall plug cover and cowling
      - wash and wax exterior

It seemed to work well.

Tim

Comment

winterizing a 2006 F150 TXR

Hi Tim,
        I am trying to winterize a four stroke F150 TXR and was wondering how to change the lower unit oil. Do I need a special pump to dispence the lube into the unit ? I will order a shop manual for this model but need some info on this. Also where are the intake silencers located ? A detailed discription would be appreciated. I know you are to pump the lower unit fluid in until it spilles out from the top.

Thank's Mario

Originally posted by TimS View Post
        If the owner's manual is anything like my 2004 F200, it's pretty lame - I think they just copied the manual from a 2-stroke with regard to fogging. It talks about removing the intake silencer, which makes no sense at all.

What I did is:

- stabilize the fuel
        - change engine oil and filter
        - change lower unit lube
        - grease all grease points
        - drain any accumulated water from fuel filter
        - run engine on muffs and put a quick shot of fogging oil into each of the two intake silencers, then shut down
        - remove the plugs and give a good dose of fogging oil to each cylinder
        - reinstall plugs and crank a couple of times, but don't start
        - spray WD40 over all metal and painted metal parts
        - reinstall plug cover and cowling
        - wash and wax exterior

It seemed to work well.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by tosi View Post
          Hi Tim,
          I am trying to winterize a four stroke F150 TXR and was wondering how to change the lower unit oil. Do I need a special pump to dispence the lube into the unit ? I will order a shop manual for this model but need some info on this. Also where are the intake silencers located ? A detailed discription would be appreciated. I know you are to pump the lower unit fluid in until it spilles out from the top.

Thank's Mario
          Mario, I am not familiar with the F150 at all, but the intake silencer is just where the engine sucks in air, ahead of the throttle bodies. It should be pretty obvious if you know your way around an engine.

The special pump is definitely the easiest way to fill the lower unit - there is an adapter that you'll need to fit Yamahas, so be sure you get that. The pump fits right on the gear oil bottle, and you just pump until it starts to come out the top hole, then plug the top, and then the bottom.

Good luck!

Tim

Comment

Mario, it looks like the intake silencer is #10 on this diagram: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...201/index.html

From the picture, it looks like the inlet is at the bottom corner, but it is hard to tell.

Also, it is probably not really critical to fog via the intake silencer - a lot of the commercial people I talked to don't do that. But I do like the idea of having oil on the valves over the winter, as well as in the combustion chamber. And, as I said, it seemed to work well. But if you are nervous about it, consult a mechanic.

Tim

Comment

There are two plugs with flat head screws on the lower unit. Place a oil pan under the engine then remove the screws and let the oil flow out with the engine in the lowered position. To refill you need and adapted that screws into the lower drain hole. Pump in the oil untill it comes out of the top hole. Spin the prop slowly by hand to remove air pockets and pump a little more oil and make sure all the air bubbles are out. replace top screw. Remove adapter hose and quickly replace the lower screw. wipe excess oil off of motor and you just saved 50 bucks. P.S Inspect lower plug for metal shavings, also make sure oil is not milky could mean water in lower unit..
              Last edited by bigeye2k; 11-22-2007, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TimS View Post
                Mario, it looks like the intake silencer is #10 on this diagram: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...201/index.html

From the picture, it looks like the inlet is at the bottom corner, but it is hard to tell.

Also, it is probably not really critical to fog via the intake silencer - a lot of the commercial people I talked to don't do that. But I do like the idea of having oil on the valves over the winter, as well as in the combustion chamber. And, as I said, it seemed to work well. But if you are nervous about it, consult a mechanic.

Tim
                This is good knowledge, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X