250 OX66 Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250 OX66 Issue

One of my engines has run slightly hotter than the other since the beginning of the season, but otherwise has run perfectly. However, this weekend, the engine stalled twice when idling. It started right back up and ran fine at 4500 rpms though. When I got back to the dock, when I took the cowling off, I noticed oil dripping down from each of the spark plug wells. My friend is telling me to change the gasket and orings, but my sense is that the oil leak may be telling me something more here. The engine does not idle rough or anything, and other than the two stalls, appears to be running fine. I would be most grateful for any insight into the potential cause and fix here. Thanks in advance.

If the oil is coming out around spark plug it's time for new plugs, the gasket on plugs are bad. The oil is not a bad sign, 2 stroke engines will have oil in combustion chamber.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks so much for your response!

I really appreciate the advice. My friend, who works on cars, actually told me the same thing this morning, but yesterday when I called the marina service department to tell them about the issue, they said "that's not good, you should bring it in this week." I'll change the plugs this weekend and hopefully confirm that resolves the problem.

Comment

Working...
      X