Yamaha T9.9 Prop Slip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha T9.9 Prop Slip

I am a novice owner. I have a Yamaha T9.9 that recently began to lose it's bite in the water. It's a 1993 model. The prop can be spun by hand out of the water. It doesn't spin freely, but it can be spun quite easily. We didn't hit anything in the lake. Any ideas as to how I correct this problem. The engine runs fine and the prop does spin in the water, but it doesn't push the boat.

I appreciate any input. I'm pretty mechanical. Does this sound like something I can fix myself. Steve

The prop hub may be slipping. You can take it to a prop repair center or to a local marine dealer to have rehubed or buy a new prop.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Slipping Yamaha Prop

Thanks for your input. So there's nothing a layman can do to repair it? I was hoping there was some type of shear pin like a snowblower.

Comment

shear pins are long gone... Haven't been used since late 60's early 70's on small outboards. Is you engine in neutral when it spins? If so that is normal. If in gear... your rubber hub in the prop is shot... Not something a novice can replace

Comment

9.9 Prop shot

Thanks for the reply. It spins in both neutral and in gear. I pulled the prop off and I would say your correct. That rubber bushing looks pretty shot.

Comment

Working...
          X