2002 F200TXRA Acts like it is vapor locking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 F200TXRA Acts like it is vapor locking

We have a 2002 Yamaha Fuel Injected 4-stroke. It starts fine when it is cold so we take off down the lake. If we stop, shut off the engine and swim around for a while then go to take off again this is where the trouble starts. It initially starts and runs fine then once I give it power it just about gets on plane when it bogs, noses over and dies. Then it will restart barely but will not idle and will not rpm. At first I thought it might be an old fuel filter since we bought the boat used but after changing it we still have the problem. I put a second clear filter in line before the engine and went out this last weekend. Pretty much the same thing happened only this time I could see that the inline filter had no fuel in it now. Instead of panicking (like we did last time...) we just took the engine cover off and swam around for another 1/2 hour to let the engine cool more. That did the trick, it started and ran fine. Well since it was running fine stayed out but didn't get too far from the dock the rest of the afternoon. Again we wanted to stop and float for a little while maybe 45 mins this time. The exact same thing happened again but this time after it died I pumped the bulb for all it was worth and I was able to get it to recover. Its as if the fuel pump is losing its prime and is ok once the air is out.

It idles and runs fine as long as you don't shut it off once it gets hot. Does this give enough clues for a diagnosis. I don't want to take the boat into a dealer with an intermittent/hard to recreate problem and end up spending a ton of money. I know this is a long story but I wanted to give all the details. Thanks for any help.

Scott

There is a update bulletin for a vapor recovery kit to install on the 2002 motors. You can check with your dealer to see if it has the kit installed on it and to see about getting it installed.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks, I will give a call to the dealer.

Comment

Working...
      X