help with blown hpdi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with blown hpdi

I have a 2002 200 horse hpdi. #6 piston shattered and went through crankase. Going to replace power head with new one. any suggestions what I should replace to prevent this again?

Contact your Yamaha dealer, there is an update bulletin for oil pump replacement on that engine. All the fuel filters need to be replaced, a 10 micron water/fuel separator filter installed. Replace injector on #6 and any more cylinders that pistons have any damage. Replaced reed valves on all cylinders with piston damage. Replace water pump and check exhaust tuner for damage. Get your dealer to go over the break in procedures.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I ordered all new fuel filters new oil pump and check valves. I alredy have a 10 micron racor. Also ordered new low pressure fuel pumps and o2 sensor. Should I replace oil pump on the other motor?

Comment

If you contact your dealer you may be able to get oil pumps replaced under warranty if they fall under the serial range on update bulletin.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Got the power head installed and running. should I adjust oil pump to oil a little more for break in? Thanks for the help, I replace the injector and reed valve that was covered in metal. The old power head had a hairline crack in cylinder wall, bent connecting rod melted piston and 2 holes through the crankcase. Wonder what happened first?

Comment

After synchronizing throttle plates adjust the link arm so the gap between oil pump lever and stopper pin on oil pump is less than 0.05mm but not touching pin.
            Turn key on and fill engine oil tank with oil.
            Remove oil pump bleed screw completely and allow oil to drain for one minute to get all air out. Reinstall bleed screw.
            Disconnect oil link arm from throttle body and allow arm to go wide open.
            NO NOT PREMIX OIL in GAS on HPDI ENGINES.
            Start engine for first time and let run at idle for 10 minutes(idle only) to purge air from oil injection system.
            Next 50 minutes run at half throttle or as slow as you run and keep boat on plain.
            Second hour run at 3/4 throttle or about 4000 rpm, vary speed ocasionally.
            When get close to third hour you can run at full throttle for 1 minute then slow to 3/4 throttle for 10 minutes to coll engine.
            Thrird to tenth hour, only run at full throttle for 5 minutes then slow down to cool engine.
            After 10 hours operate engine normally.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks for all your help. I started the engine last night. The only thing I didnt do was open the bleed screw. Oil was flowing out of the oil resevoir hose when I connected it to the oil pump so hopefully there was no air in it.
              Ran it at idle for 10 min with pump rod disconnected then ran it at 1500 rpm for ten minutes. Hope it didnt hurt anything.

Comment

Working...
              X