New CDI for '93 150 Yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CDI for '93 150 Yamaha

I posted last week with an oil flow problem. I had the float sensor replaced but turns out that was not the problem. I have the boat at the shop now and mechanic has told me that I need a new CDI unit as my model engine does not have a seperate control unit for the oil tank. Mechanic tested extensively and says he is positove that it is the CDI, wich he says costs $1,050 for the part!! How uncommon is it for the CDI to need to be replaced? What is the cost through this site? Appreciate any feedback.

Pete

http://www.boats.net/parts/search.ht...ECTRIC+PARTS+1

Comment

HI Pete, I would go to a different shop, or better yet, do it yourself, and save more money. this guy is charging double the list, does he have a mask and a gun? I would show him the list price, and tell him off. He is entitled to make a profit, but he is taking advantage of his customers. Find a more reliable shop.
      Dennis

Comment

Thanks for the boat.net link. My boat is at a marina in Canada and they were going through Yamaha Canada so that may be some of the reason why the part was so expensive but I will talk to them about trying to charge $1,000+ when I was able to get in the states for $600! I could have saved $75 had I know of boats.net yesterday afternoon. Funny thing about Yamaha Canada vs. Yamaha US - my mechanic was told that the CDI was not available anywhere in Canada and he was being told that it would have to be made at the factory in Japan. A girl from their Yamaha part company was going to try to find in the states but did not get back to them after 4 hours. I called my marina in the states and they found part right away - interesting.

Does anyone know if it at all common for the CDI to need replacement? This oil flow problem is going to end up costing me $1,000 with labor as I had multiple testing done at two marinas, which included a mis-diagnosis at the first and the purchase of a float sensor which is apparently defective or was made defective by the bad CDI. (will be able to send the defective float sensor back for refund).

Comment

Working...
        X