Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200hp Vmax Smokes At Start-up

Hello Everyone,

Looking for some assisstance on my '02 200HP VMAX. Smokes too much at start-up, but seems to run fine and smoke goes away as soon as I give it some throttle. I synchronized the oil pump, and checked to make sure the vent line from the oil tank to the air box was clear. After running, if I tilt the motor and wait 30 minutes I can see a very small amount of oil in front of each of the throttle plates. I'm thinking that oil must be injecting after the motor is turned off. It's not a lot of oil, and doesn't become a greater amount the longer it sits, so I don't think it is constatntly pumping oil after shut down, just letting off pressure. It's also not a tremendous amount of smoke, but enough to be real embarassing whenever I leave the dock. Any ideas on where to check next?
    Last edited by DMSOUTH; 07-30-2007, 01:55 PM.

A little extra smoke at startup after engine sits is normal. The oil inside crankcase will puddle and with engine tilted up the oil will puddle in throttle body and air silencer.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

I agree, but my neighbor 2 doors down doesn't smoke anywhere near as much as I do at start-up. I'm guessing it must be something fairly minor, but don't know where to look.

Comment

when you tilt overnight....you COULD pull the overflow hose from the bottom of the air airbox, leave in a jar overnight see if its running off there.

or, possible bad checkvalve in oil lines, if your motor has them?

Comment

It's not coming from the airbox--I checked there first and it is dry. I don't remember seeing anything about check valves in the service manual, but I'll check again tonight. I think the oil is coming from behind the throttle valve plates, because I don't see any when it is shut down unless I tilt the motor, causing the oil to run to the front of the plates. Does that mean that the plates aren't shut tight and they all need to be adjusted and synch'd? I adjusted the oil pump so the lever is on the stop pin, but if the plates are still open, would oil/fuel mix be flowing after the motor is shut off? If the plates were shut tight, it doesn't seem like oil or fuel should be able to run in front of them when tilted. Or don't the plates shut that tight?

Comment

Anybody know how tight the throttle plates should close? Tight enough to not let any oil/fuel run back past them when closed?

Comment

Working...
            X