Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 90 buzzer question

Hello,

its a 2004 90TLRC w/oil injection. Currently rigging, it came with 10 pin wire harness, 704 binnacle, Analog tack(no oil info),keyswitch & killswitch.

All wires connect clearly. when i turn the key, the buzzer sounds. I disconected the 3 wire plug (green, green stripe & pink) coming from the oil tank and the buzzer stops. The tank is full. any ideas? can i remove the sensor and test it? or better can i do a continuity test or something on the plug?

Also, i would like to hook my gauge lights to the keyswitch, but NO yellow and blue wire coming out of the harness like the book says. possibly i have the commercial harness?, not sure. but there are 2 wires in that area of the harness (red and yellow w/red dots) . possibly the yellow is key on power...

Thanks for any help, as this is becoming a headache for my little head.

There are two white 4 prong connectors on engine , one male one female. Make sure they are not plugged togather. One goes to trim sender, the other one goes to oil level sensor. For the backlight to work with ignition key just connect blue wire from gauge to a yellow wire.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks, I will try this tonight.

I guess since i dont have the trim and oil lights on my tach, i dont need that harness. but somewhere along the line of repowering, im sure someone (me) probably saw those 2 connectors and..., well..., they fit together..., so they(me) plugged them together.

So, will my low oil and overheat buzzer still sound through the 10 pin harness only?

Comment

Thanks for the help,

i tested the overheat sensor by shorting the wires, key "on" and buzzer sounded. but i have concerns about the low oil buzzer if i disconnect that 4/prong connector. sent you a more detailed pm.
        Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

What are the two four prong white plugs for?

I though I read somewhere that they can be used to test the buzzer. How is this done? I tried plugging them in and turning the key on, but got nothing. Does it have to be running? This is an F60C.

Thanks
          Last edited by dukkhnter; 10-01-2007, 01:05 AM.

Comment

not sure about the 4-strokes, mine is a 2 stroke 90...alot different i would think.

best thing to do is to get a service manual for your motor.

for my 2 stroke: several ways to test the buzzer...easy one is to short the overheat sensor...no digging in the console needed...with key on. not running. On the block, find overheat sensor, pink and black wires on mine with quick connects, just touch together and alarm sounds. this tells you that the wiring is correct and buzzer works, but does not tell you that the sensor is functioning correctly. to test that, there are several posts on how to do it, i cant remember exactly. try a search. but its something like :take off the temp sensor , test continuity on the wires, should be none...heat up in water on the stove to something like 160 , then continuity... my old 60 4 stroke would only "chirp" not buzz when turning the key on...

Comment

The four prong connectors are for Yamaha gauges, one is trim sender signal for trim gauge and other one is oil level indicator on 2 stroke on Yamaha tach and low oil pressure on four stroke engines. Connecting them togather on a F60 will not sound warning buzzer but do not leave them connected to each other. Testing the warning buzzer on a four stoke engine is not as simple as grounding sensor lead, you would have to a jumper wire with a 220 ohm resistor to signal a overheat alarm. Not recommended to short or ground wires on four stroke's, take it to your dealer to have warning system tested.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
                The four prong connectors are for Yamaha gauges, one is trim sender signal for trim gauge and other one is oil level indicator on 2 stroke on Yamaha tach and low oil pressure on four stroke engines. Connecting them togather on a F60 will not sound warning buzzer but do not leave them connected to each other. Testing the warning buzzer on a four stoke engine is not as simple as grounding sensor lead, you would have to a jumper wire with a 220 ohm resistor to signal a overheat alarm. Not recommended to short or ground wires on four stroke's, take it to your dealer to have warning system tested.
                Thanks! Very good data.

Comment

Working...
                X