Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Compression Checking on a Yamaha 2-Stroke ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression Checking on a Yamaha 2-Stroke ??

I've been taught to take compression on a warm engine, with the plugs out and grounded.

A recent venture into Polaris 2-stroke jet skis, I learned that it is better to take compression on a STONE COLD ENGINE with the plugs IN the cylinders not being tested ,-and the plugs grounded.

The engine will rotate faster-(believe it or not) and since cold you have a repeatable base line to establish norms.

I've tried this procedure and the above is true.

What does the Yamaha community have to suggest about this procedure ?

Also.....in jet skis "Piston Wash " is monitored. That's the areas around the outside of the piston top that is "washed" by the fuel. Viewed through the spark plug hole---it looks like small c's about the size of your fingernail, or so.

Not enough wash and the engine is running lean(hot), thus possible burning a hole in the piston. Wash is con*****ed by carburetor adjustments.

Comments please......

Cold compression test is the norm for 2 and 4 stroke engines with throttle open. Outboards don't have the carb adjustments like the PWC engines and use a different fuel system and you wont always see the clean spots on piston at intake ports like the PWC engines.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

Thank you for the reply

Comment

Working...
      X